Elmira City School District
Autism Support Group
2017-18 Parent Support Group Meetings
Booth Education Center, 414 Davis Street, Elmira
Purpose: The purpose of ECSD’s Support Group Meetings is to provide parents an opportunity to talk about the challenges that they face daily and network with others who may have faced the same challenge and had success. An important function of our meetings will be to introduce families to others like themselves, who can provide much needed information and emotional support. Our meetings will offer a place for parents to share experiences, get information and advice and make long-lasting friendships.
- Topics: Advocating for your Child
Structure at Home (Routines and Schedules-Make and Take Session)
How to Encourage Independence
- Topic: Coping with Holiday Stress
- Topic: Least Restricted Environment
- Topic: Improving Social/Interaction Skills
- Topic: Dealing with Challenging Behaviors
- Topic: Increasing Food Selection
- Topic: Increasing Toileting Skills
- Topic: Preparing for the Next Level (Elementary to Middle School to High School to College and/or Employment)
- Topic: Structure in the Summer
Incorporating Learning into Play
For more information about the Autism Support Group, contact Kim Affeldt-Sanford,
district autism consultant teacher, at 735-3042.
Thank you to Elmira City School District Employees Joy Stanton, Assistant Supervisor of Special Education, and Kim Affeldt-Sanford, Special Education Teacher for Autism Support, who attended the Jackals Hockey Autism Awareness Night on Saturday, November 21 to support the Jackals in raising awareness of autism.