Elmira City School District
Athletic Department Mission Statement
The Elmira City School District will promote participation and sportsmanship to develop good citizens through interscholastic activities which provide equitable opportunities, positive recognition and learning experiences to students while maximizing the achievement of educational goals. Through our athletic programs we will offer unique situations outside the classroom-but within the high school environment. The purposes to be achieved from our Interscholastic Athletic and Intramural programs in the Elmira City school District will include the following:
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience self-discipline, sacrifice, and dedication as a means of achieving goals.
- Provide students with the opportunity to engage in cooperative activities and to come to understand the word "compete" means "to strive together".
- Provide students with the opportunity to exemplify good sportsmanship as a means of learning good citizenship.
- Provide students with the opportunity for experiences in problem solving and decision making.
- Provide students with the opportunity to engage in organized activities with other students whose backgrounds and academic abilities may be dissimilar from their own.
- Provide students with the opportunity to understand and practice the principles of sound health, safety and physical fitness.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the ability and desire to use their time effectively.
- Demonstrate to students that real, lasting satisfaction comes not so much from "winning" per se' as from doing the job to the best of your ability.
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience a feeling of self-worth and to develop self-confidence.
- Provide students with the opportunity to experience working as a member of a team in order to achieve a goal, and, in the process, learn that cooperation and competition are not mutually exclusive concepts.
We will promote high standards of ethics, sportsmanship, and personal conduct by encouraging administration, coaches, staff, student athletes and community to commit to these high standards. We will at all times, maintain a comprehensive athletic program which seeks the highest development of all participants, and which respects the individual dignity of every athlete. We are the Elmira City School District!
Director of Health, Physical Education & Athletics