Career and Technical Education
"Where Learning Comes Alive"
What is Career and Technical Education?
Career and technical education is about helping students, workers and lifelong learners of all ages fulfill their working potential. First and foremost, it's about high school and college education that provides students with:
Academic subject matter taught with relevance to the real world, often called contextual learning.
Employability skills, from job-related skills to workplace ethics.
Education pathways that help students explore interests and careers in the process of progressing through school.
About our program
- We have fully established Project Lead the Way programs in both the middle and high schools, including state-of-the-art equipment and teachers who participate in annually training opportunities.
- We have a New York State-approved Sales, Marketing and Retailing training (SMART) program in our business departments.
- Hundreds of students take advantage of work-based learning (job shadows and internships) opportunities in the middle and high schools each year.
- Elementary and middle school students are exposed to numerous career speakers and participate in career development activities annually.
- The program has multiple partnerships with local business and industry groups including the Chemung County Chamber of Commerce, Southern Tier Economic Growth, CSS Workforce NY, the New York State Department of Labor, Corning Community College, the Elmira Rotary Club and WETM-TV Channel 18.
CTE teaching strategies
For More Information
Contact your school counselor or any business, technology or family and consumer science teacher.