How to volunteer or get involved with our schools
Within all the schools in our district, there are many ways parents and other community members can help support our children.
- Volunteer in a child's classroom: Many teachers, especially in the elementary schools, welcome assistance from a reliable adult. Contact your child's teacher or any school office with your offer to volunteer and to set up a schedule.
- Senior volunteers through RSVP: If you are a senior citizen, consider registering with RSVP of Chemung County.
- Join a Board of Education committee: Several volunteers are needed on our School Board committees. Contact Janet Mustico (email@example.com), Board clerk, for more information.
- Volunteer to tutor: Are you an expert in your field? Retired teacher? Do you have an interest in one-on-one tutoring? Contact Chris Mecke (CMecke@elmiracityschools.com) for details.
- Volunteer to tell students about your career/job: Do you have an interesting job? Do you have a rewarding career? Are you a minority who has broken barriers in your field? Share your experience with a class through our Career and Technical Education Program. Contact Shelley Bailey to make arrangements (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Other ways to get involved
Donate: Your donation can purchase school supplies, a workbook - or help a student pay for the SAT or AP exam. For information, call 735-3010.
Cheer: Attend a sporting event. Schedules are available at www.elmiracityschools.com.
Teach: Become a substitute teacher or obtain permanent teaching certification. Call the Personnel Department at 735-3020 for more information.
Vote: In school board elections, budget votes and referendums, every vote matters.
Join: Booster clubs rely on community and alumni support to buy athletic and physical education supplies.
Enjoy: Support our performers at a play, concert or musical.
Host: If you own a business, bring in a student intern and provide real work experience. For information about hosting an intern, call 735-3366.
Share: Whatever your talent or "treasure," share it with a child. You will make a difference!